Monday 10 June 2013

Greetings and Salutations, otherwise known as The Song That Started It All

Twenty years of Triple J's Hottest 100. The task befalling Australia: what 100 songs are the best and most awesome over the years?

Australia decided on Wonderwall by Oasis for number 1. My boyfriend was pretty outraged by this. I couldn't understand how it was in first place; Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes (number 2) is far livelier and has a more complex sound (not by much though; the heavily-used riff has something like 7 notes in total).

After witnessing the raging and celebrations on Facebook, which generally read like this:
  • SERIOUSLY?! OASIS?!
  • Considering people have been talking about, arguing about, playing and singing Wonderwall pretty solidly since it came out 17 years ago, even if I wasn't a fan I would say there is a good argument for it being number 1 in the last 20 years.
  • I'm surprised that the station for indie douchefuckers and 7th year Arts students managed to make people mad with a popularity contest. </sarcasm>
  • Will you PLEASE SHUTUP about the top 100 over the last 20 years? WE OBVIOUSLY ALL HAVE THE INTERNET SO 50 'OMG WONDERWALL?!' statuses aren't necessary.
  • People complaining that 'Wonderwall' being voted as #1 song of the last 20 years is a sign that Triple J has gone downhill are conveniently forgetting that the J's were the first station to thrash that song to hell when it was released. If anything, it's a return to what they were in the late 90s.
  • YAY WONDERWALL!!!!!
I decided that I'm going to listen to every single song ever included on any of Triple J's Hottest 100 lists and rank them myself. If nothing else, I'll never have to care about what places where ever again, simply because my list will be better. (Continue kidding yourself, yes?)

Anyway, as I read over the wrap-up, I noticed a few oddities that I'm not sure I'm okay with. For instance, Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap and Naïve by The Kooks have never previously featured in a Hottest 100 list. The only Icelandic artist to make it onto the list was Of Monsters & Men; Björk, who is definitely far more known, did not chart.

As I'm sure there are other oddities over the years, here are the rules that I'll be following when I compile this list:
  • Only songs that have appeared on a chart will be included.
  • I have to listen to every song.
  • Any bias (including the fangirl variety) must be mentioned in the post relating to the song.
I'm sure I'll make more rules as I think of them. I'll do my best to remain neutral, but as mentioned earlier by someone on Facebook: "It's a popularity contest." As Wonderwall is the song that's inspiring me to  start this blog, it'll be the baseline for All-Time Number 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment